4th multiplier event
July 13 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm| Free
The partners of the ERASMUS+-funded EUSTEPs project
in partnership with
Sustainable Development Solution Network Black Sea and Mediterranean
Sustainability in Action:
Enhancing Universities’ Sustainability Teaching and Practices through Ecological Footprint
(Multiplier Event E4)
July 13th 10.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET)
Education is increasingly gaining a central role in easing the transition to a sustainable society, and Higher Education Institutions (HEI) play an important role in this transformation. Leveraging all the outputs produced during the EUSTEPs project, this final event aims to walk participants through the EUSTEPs Educational Materials for teaching sustainability, the open access, digital University Footprint Calculator, and the recently tested EUSTEPs MOOCs on Sustainability and Ecological Footprint.
This event is intended for the whole HEI community including academic staff (educators, professors, researchers), non-academic staff (administrative and technical), management bodies, students as well as all interested audiences who are curious to deepen their understanding of ways in which sustainability can be taught and practiced within HEI.
• Learn about the EUSTEPs modules on Sustainability and Ecological Footprint and how it has been already used by several universities in their teaching;
• Discover the new, open-access digital ‘University Footprint Calculator’ and learn about the experiences of the 4 Universities that have already piloted its use;
• Deep dive into the results of the newly released EUSTEPs MOOC on Sustainability and Ecological Footprint and learn how you can engage in this lifelong journey.
Welcome (10 min)
• George Malandrakis, Lead partner and organizer, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH).
• Nicolaos Theodossiou, Chair of the Sustainable Development Solution Network (SDSN) Black Sea.
• Simone Cresti, Sustainable Development Solution Network (SDSN) Mediterranean.
Keynote (20 min)
• AUTh progresses towards the SDGs (title to be confirmed), Prof. Stefanos Koundouras, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH).
• The importance of strengthening education for Sustainable Development in the EU and Mediterranean regions (title to be confirmed), Prof. Michael Scoullos, Mediterranean Information Office for the Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development
Session 1 – The EUSTEPs contribution to teaching sustainability (35 min)
• The EUSTEPs project, goals, activities and achievements overview, George Malandrakis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) (5 min)
• EUSTEPs teaching modules: Lesson learned, Federico Maria Pulselli, University of Siena (8 min)
• EUSTEPs MOOC: Lesson learned and the lifelong pathway, Mahsa Mapar, Universidade Aberta (7 min)
• Q&A session (15 min)
Short break (10 min)
Session 2 – The EUSTEPs contribution to practicing sustainability (40 min)
• Measuring and Managing Universities’ Ecological Footprint: the calculator process, its outcomes and lessons learned, Alessandro Galli, Global Footprint Network (8 min)
• Top 10 recommendations for Universities Footprint reduction, Sara Moreno Pires, University of Aveiro (8 min)
• The usefulness of the Footprint Calculator for a University Administration, Prof. Alexandra Queirós, Vice-Rector for Life and Culture Policies on the campuses, University of Aveiro, and Prof. Ana Lillebø, Vice-rector for the Promotion of Quality, Communication, Efficiency and Effectiveness at the University, University of Aveiro (10 min)
• Q&A (Part II) (14 min)
Closing remarks, George Malandrakis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (5 min)